Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tue, 30 July - Shoshone Geyser Basin and Lone Star Geyser

Hiked into the Shoshone Geyser Basin and searched all around the Washtub and Union Geyser for the rumored amazing hot spring by could not find it.  The basin included some exciting features including the Taurus spring, Bronze geyser, Shield geyser, Little Bulgar Geyser and Little Giant Geyser.
A very fascinating area.  

Without spending the morning in the hot spring as I planned I ended up at camp at 1:30pm.  Saw some bear tracks but still no grizzly sightings. Spent the afternoon at Lone Star Geyser that erupts every three hours and slowly a large group of people, maybe 15-18 hiked in to see it with me so I scored some crackers, chips and candy.  It was a pretty neat 35 foot geyser and the eruption lasted a good 15-20 minutes.

Hiking back to camp I hung my gear to air out in the sun and had a lazy afternoon nap.  Three miles to Old Faithful Village in the morning for breakfast.  





No comments:

Post a Comment