Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wed, 26 June - forests, lakes, and blowdowns

Hiking through forests, meadows, lakes and blowdowns as I descended to almost 8000 feet.  Hot and buggy down here.  

After Monarch Lake I had hoped to get an ice cream at the Small Moose Trading Post but a sign said closed. Just as I disappointedly turned to leave the owner called down and said to come on in.  Free Trail Magic Heaven with muffins, drinks, brownies and ice cream!

Thought I would easily make it into Grand Lake but the route around Lake Granby and up on Knight Ridge was difficult and slow.  Unmaintained, overgrown, and a blowdown nightmare.  You would cross over blowdowns and never find a trail on the other side repeatedly. Very challenging.  

At Shadow Mountain Lake it was clear I wouldn't get to the hostel till 9pm so I found a place to stealth camp outside of Rocky Mountain National Park.  Had to chase away a black bear at dusk and wondered if he would return all night.  Looking forward to breakfast in Grand Lakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment