Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sun, 16 June - Mt Elbert, 14,433 feet

My nephew David, his roommate and I attempted a climb of Mt Elbert today.  Near the summit cone the weather turned to snow with heavy winds and thunder.  Still almost a mile and about an hour and a half still to go we decided it was unsafe to summit.  We down climbed to a spot that I thought was safe and I said goodbye to David and planned to camp and wait out the storm.

It did clear and I made the long trek to the summit of the tallest peak in the US Rocky Mountains, high point of Colorado, and second highest peak in the lower 48 states. Met a couple on top that just got engaged! Nice views but then the thunder storms came back and I headed down.  The whole trail today was filled with marmots, especially at the summit.  We also saw tons of them on the road to Twin Lakes as well as seeing a coyote and some deer.

The rain got heavy as I hiked over toward Mt Massive so I am camping about a mile short of the trail that leads to the summit.  Hoping for good weather for my side hike attempt on Mt Massive, second highest peak in CO, in the morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment