Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sat, June 1st - On the Divide above the Knife-edge

VThe San Juan's are rough on gear.  My water filter bag spit open when I tried to crack some ice that clogged it and my stuff sack split open when I stuffed it.  

Climbed high on the divide above the knife-edge, lots of exposure and some class 3 rock scrambling but almost no snow.  Fantastic views, scary but always felt safe.  There was a canister/register at the top of the 12,400 foot unnamed peak over looking the knife edge.  Lots of marmots too.  This was the most exciting section of trail so far!

The rest of the afternoon was a mix of snow, water, trail finding and rock hopping.  At one point I had to scale an almost vertical snow cornice to gain the top of a pass.   When you did find the trail it was a river of melt water not a trail.  Got some use out of my snowshoes on some steep snowy climbs.  Camping above a lake in the sun.  Stopped early to dry my cold feet and Norm, Elizabeth, and Dane hiked by my camp.  The high divide was shorter and Dane had descended down part way through the night before to stay on the lower trail.  






1 comment:

  1. You were always rough on gear, don't blame the San Juan's.

    ReplyDelete