Friday, September 8, 2023

Sep 8, 2023 - Day 10 on the SHT (George Crosby-Manitou State Park and the 100mi Trail Run)

Rumor is there are several 100 people doing a 100-mile race on the SHT from Gooseberry State Park to Lutsen.  That's smack in the middle of where I'm hiking today.  They started this morning and are expected to hit about 16 miles south of here early evening.   In addition another group starts at 5:15am on a 50-mile run starting from about the same spot.  My plan is to try and get south of where the 50-milers start and camp just before the lead runners start passing through.   Hoping they all pass through during the night while I'm off trail.




Site of old bear den.

I've been seeing a lot of these wood cavings all over the trail lately.  Very cool



The rest stop for the 100-mile trail run and starting point for the 50-milers in the moring.


Made it with a few minutes to spare.  Eight minutes after getting to camp the first lead runners passed through.   For the next 6-8 hours I had headlamps dancing off my tent walls and loud voices passing by our camp all night.  About the best we could have hoped for as we didn't have to contend with the runners while we were on trail.   I feel sorry for other hikers that were caught in the pack during the daytime.  Camping at Leskinen Creek.






No comments:

Post a Comment