Sunday, September 17, 2023

Sep 17, 2023 - Day 19 on the SHT (Ely's Peak, the St. Louis River and Jay Cooke State Park)

Another great day on the trail as I come close to the end of my thru-hike.  Started out early hiking down off Spirit mountain where many many mountain bike trails threading back and forth across the SHT.   First up was Magney/Snively Park and views back toward Lake Superior. 



I took the loop trail out to Larry's Lookout & Ely's Peak





The trail then drops down to the Grand Portage of the St. Louis River where it follows along the bank of this amazing riverway.



The grand feature of the day was hiking into Jay Cooke State Park where you cross the St. Louis River on the famous swinging Bridge.  Views of spectacular waterfalls, cascades, and rocks and potholes abound as I followed along the river.






My original plan was to camp at Jay Cooke State Park but I got there with extra time and it was so exciting walking along the St Louis riverway.  I decided to hike on past the backcountry campsite to camp at Red River Valley.  The last campsite on the SHT and 0.3 miles from the Wisconsin border and the Southern Terminus.





No comments:

Post a Comment