Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Sep 4, 2024 -- Sierra High Route, Day 5 (Tarn after Cirque Pass)

My first big navigation error today.   When leaving the John Muir Trail I aimed slightly to far to the right and somehow navigated up the wrong canyon.  Two plus hours of grueling extra climbing and when I crested the pass nothing looked right.   I realized I had taken a right leaning fork when I left the trail and climbed the wrong canyon.   Backtracking I started over with a wasted four hours of extra scrambling.  

The climb up the correct route to Cirque Pass was as bad as Frozen Lake Pass. I'm exhausted.  Camping at the first high mountain tarn after Cirque Pass.  Noticed I lost a toenail from all the stress of boulder and talus hopping.  I'm having trouble confirming position data using my gps but finally realized using battery saver mode the phone was not trying hard enough to get a satellite fix in the canyons.   If I had been able to confirm my gps location I could have avoided some of my off-route detour.   I'm worried about having enough battery to last the 14days till resupply some I'm pretty stingy with using the gps.  Guess it didn't pay off today.  Still great weather and scenery.  








No comments:

Post a Comment