Thursday, September 12, 2024

Sep 12, 2024 -- Sierra High Route, Day 13 (Deer Lake)

Well, I was expecting an easy morning.  A few miles on the JMT then turn onto Duck Lake trail.  To save battery I left my GPS off.   I was starting to feel like I might have missed the turn.  Turn on GPS and it clearly indicated I was on a different trail that left the campsite.  I was pissed and back hiked a good mile.  Checking the GPS again, it now says I'm on the right trail hiking backward to camp.   I was on the right trail all along just shy of the turn.  So again I turn around and hike back.  Stupid. 

Surprised to see trail workers on the climb up to Duck Lake.  Beautiful section around Duck and Deer lakes.  Meet another Sierra High Route SoBo section hiker who said snow for Sunday night then dropping to the low 50s.  It was still early in the day but Roper's notes says no water till Reds Meadow; which is another 10 miles.  I took a long beak and was going to carry 4-liters to dry camp.  But the thought of extra weight was discouraging.    Decided to camp here at 3pm.  Even though it was easy day I'm exhausted.  I'm 2 days behind from what I thought I would be able to hike.   Was thinking I might have to end at Tuolumne Meadows.   Now with snow maybe I'll have to end my adventure at Reds Meadow?  We will see.  I've had picture perfect weather, but cold nights so far.  Today was the first time hiking in the morning with a coat.  The really only issue so  far has been some really windy evening in camp.   It' makes it very hard to setup your tent in the wind.  







No comments:

Post a Comment