Thursday, September 19, 2024

Sep 19, 2024 -- Sierra High Route, Day 20 (Tuolumne Meadows and Lee Vining)

Day 20 on trail.  Woke to a few inches of new snow.  My burned foot is really bothering me but the gentle trail was easy to walk with pretty meadows, trees, and granite slabs.  I passed lots of horses suppling the Sierra Trail Camp. When I got to Tuolumne Meadows the campground, lodge, etc were all closed for the season.  Because of the snow the road up the pass from Lee Vining was closed this morning so no one knows if the bus will come to head down to Lee Vining.   I am not willing to wait till 7pm to see if the bus will come so I spent a good 1-1/2 hours before getting a hitch to town.  My original plan was to resupply in Tuolumne Meadows/Lee Vining for the last section of the Sierra High Route to Twin Lakes.  I'm running two days behind and it would be a push to make it for my return flight from Reno.  I had pretty much decided I would take a zero day in town and if I didn't feel I had enough time save the last section for another trip.   Now, with my burned foot I'm going to stop here.  It's been a great 20 day adventure and challenging accomplishment to solo the section 1-4 of the Sierra High Route.  The route finding was much more challenging then I expected.  Will have to come back next year to catch the last section to complete the route.   I plan to change my flight and take the bus from Lee Vining to Reno in the morning.   The end of another birthday hike adventure!   










No comments:

Post a Comment