Tuesday, October 7, 2014

7October2014 - Kewaunee River Walk


Back on the Ice Age Trail for a day hike.  Picking up from Krohn's Lake just outside of Algoma the trail follows south along Lake Michigan to Kewaunee.  After staging my car near the end of the Kewaunee River segment on the Ahnapee State Trail; I  rode my bike to where I left off near Krohn's Lake.  Stashed my bike in the woods off an interesting pine wood trail and had a treat of seeing a deer in the fields nearby.


From here to the city of Kewaunee it is a quiet road walk with many views of Lake Michigan, the fall colors in the trees, farms, and fields of corn and sunflowers along the lake shore.  Great views of the harbor from Farther Marquett Memorial Park.






Next I took a quick detour to meander down 1,500 feet of boardwalk through the wetlands on the Kewaunee Nature Walk which ended in a panoramic view of the Kewaunee River from an observation deck.  Along the way several deer jumped across the boardwalk directly in front of me.




The next ten miles follow the Kewaunee River on the Ahnapee State Trail.  Some described this as one of the most scenic sections of a rail-trail in Wisconsin.  Kewaunee County is named for a Potawatomi word meaning “river of the lost.”  Outside Kewaunee the route skirts Bruemmer County Park which has a free zoo but was not open when I hiked through.  And also a fish facility and fish ladder.



After meandering along the river, cross several wooden trestle bridges, and the Besadny State Wildlife Area; I passed through a tunnel under the road in the dark and made it back to my car.  Seven hours to bike one way and hike 21 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment