Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sat, 14Sep - Piegan Pass and the Green Wall

Right out of camp this morning i hiked past Deadwood Falls with inviting pools and many pothole rock formations.  Next I passed through a tunnel under the Going to the Sun Road.

Climbing up to Piegan Pass the trail opened up to fantastic views as the trail traversed the side of the mountains and over the pass.  As you summited the pass I got my first view of the  fantastic Green Wall.  

Wonderful views hiking along the Green Wall and past lakes and waterfalls.  And lots of late season huckleberries.  Near Morning Star Falls I noticed a nice alternate route I could take out to Grinnell Lake.  The route took me past Feather Plume Falls, along Cataract Creek, and over several suspension bridges and lots of boardwalks to a sandy beach on the shore of Grinnell Lake.  Sitting in the sand enjoying my lunch with a view of the deep blue/turquoise lake, surrounded by mountains, and the mighty double waterfall feeding the lake from Grinnell glacier above.

Next a side trip over to Hidden Falls with an observation platform in a tight slot canyon overlooking the falls.  From here I rejoined the CDT after passing around Lake Josephine and Swiftcurrent Lake.  

Met up with Highlife, Sweet Fish, Love Note, Ninja, Drop n Roll & Burly White at Many Glaciers and enjoyed some beer, wine, pizza, and ice cream.








No comments:

Post a Comment